In overwhelm and feel like you are constantly bombarded with too much information? I am happy to share some tips with you to support your efforts to move forward.
According to cognitive neuroscientist Daniel Levitin, information scientists have quantified how overwhelmed by information the poor human brain is. “In 2011, Americans took in five times as much information every day as they did in 1986–the equivalent of 175 newspapers. During our leisure time, not counting work, each of us processes 34 gigabytes or 100,000 words every day.”
Due to this, it is no wonder we can feel overwhelmed at times.
Here are 7 of my favourite ways to regain your peace and focus on your joy:
- Create a morning routine that helps you start your day on a positive note. Make your bed. There is something true about the adage that the state of your bed is the state of your head.
- Enjoy the still need and quiet before bed. Set your phone to automatically go into silent mode an hour before your bedtime.
- Develop a way to learn that NO is a complete sentence. As in: “Thank you so much for asking, but that isn’t going to work out for me right now.”
- Turn off your TV unless you intend to watch something specific. Skip the commercials — record your show and skip through them.
- Eat at least one meal a day without doing anything else at the same time. No driving, reading, emotionally upsetting conversations, or email.
- Make decisions about routine things once. Buy the same brands at the grocery store every time; get the same outfit in different colours so you don’t have to decide what to wear every morning; prepare the same basic meals most week days.
- Stop multi-tasking. It makes you error prone, and even though you think you’re getting more done, it’s actually quite inefficient. View previous blogs on this topic here.
Click on the image to download a handy printable version of my 7 Ways to Ease Overwhelm list.
Looking to maximize your personal and business performance? Proven, action oriented, research based applications in the areas of coaching, change management and positive psychology practices. Reach out to partner in possibility and move forward now.
I can support you in finding a path that feels natural, authentic and good to you. If you would like a personalized copy of the new International Best Seller that I co-authored, please reach out. Dream Boldly I Dare You.